Monday, March 23, 2015

Catching up...

After a relaxing week in Florida and then a week filled with schoolwork, lessons & then two exams (bleh!) and a lovely weekend, it is time to finally sit down to write a post!

Riding Updates!

I've been riding Aries (the 20ish year old Morgan gelding) and training him to go "western" per his owners request, and now have the opportunity to work with 17hh black OTTB gelding, Fred, at the same barn- I'm very excited for this!
----
I've also begun riding at Fairfield Farm, learning the elements of classic dressage!

Today marks my second dressage lesson! I am LOVING it. As a former 4-H/Hunter/Jumper now working with more eventing, dressage is extremely important to me! It challenges me to change up my riding style and really connect with my equine partner. I love the rhythm

I'm going to start a little lesson log.

My lesson last week:

Caleigh: a TB gelding
- leans like Lily does
- forward, but easygoing
- schoolmaster

Caleigh was a wonderful, uncomplicated ride that challenged me to (actually!) lift up my heels (I've been cranking them down for what seems like since my infancy) and sit deeper and taller. My hands have become much softer, and more giving. My seat also feels better and more independent. We did some leg yields, circles and transitions. It was a day to "figure everything out".

My lesson today:

DeeJay: a QH gelding 
-slow western-y gait (but not pokey)
-mouth fussy/playful
-took effort to achieve roundness

DeeJay was a super cute and very playful ride! Today, he challenged me to "ground him", "bring him low and long" and to "step into" rather than drag me, into an upwards gait. He asked me to think about keeping a loose but still rather "firm" overall position. I didn't want to be disrupted by a change in gait- I wanted the transition to appear effortless and not to be carried away by the canter. What really hit me today was that I was asked to "ground" or "soothe" him which coded in my head to loosen and lengthen my legs, pull my seat underneath me and to further soften my hands. It worked! Yay!

DeeJay says HIIIII!

We're loving this dressage stuff ;) We've signed up for a clinic in June for Lily and I- wahoo!

XOXO
DJC


No comments:

Post a Comment