Monday, February 23, 2015

The Owls Approve Blog Hop: Costly


Costly
What has been your horse's most expensive injury to date? Let's exclude maintenance things, like hock injections and the magical monthly package of MSM. What single episode blew your savings or left you boiling ramen? If you want to get technical about it, time is money, too. 

I suppose these past two years have BEEN a single episode....Hah, oh Lily. 2013 was a ghastly year for us. In February, Lily's hock had begun to swell (practically overnight- and we still don't know the cause or reason...) and she became dead lame. We consulted with three vets (and countless x-rays and ultrasounds). We also tried injections, draining, wrapping, sweating, stall rest, among other things. We ended up taking her down to New England Equine and and from there, more x-rays, injections, lameness tests and the like. Lily had to be on a strict stall rest/walking program (15 min twice a day, not including changing bandages, grooming, etc.) which was hard for me and my family as I was in high school at the time, we are very busy and on top of that, Lily is boarded 10 minutes away (which on the grand scheme of things is pretty darn close!) 

Anyway, it took her nearly two years to fully recover, and thousands of dollars later. We had a few recoveries in between where we could begin work again, but she would fall back lame. But, looking back, I wouldn't change anything. It taught me responsibility, I learned about medical and treatment in legs, and most of all: we bonded, and shared such simple moments together. It was incredible how much stronger, and closer we are today. I love my mare!!

Just a few months ago we had another mini episode again, this time fixing the problem with egg-bar shoes! Here's to a Healthy New Year, Miss Lily~ 

This was a our "first jump back" in about two years.
We were both so, so happy! 

2 comments:

  1. Poor Lily! I'm glad she's recovered and I have my fingers crossed there will be no more relapses.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mystery lameness is the worst!! So glad to hear she's back to her old self now :)

    ReplyDelete